Magnesium and shortness of breath

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Magnesium and shortness of breath

Postby johnny999 on May 27th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Does anyone else get a shortness of breath from Mag ? It seems like taking more than 200 mgs in one sitting makes my lungs feel kind of weak.

Or am i just imagining this ???

The maximum upper tolerable limit for magnesium supplementation in adults is 350 mg per day of elemental magnesium according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).[2] In addition, according to the NIH, total dietary requirements for magnesium from all sources (i.e. food and/or supplements) is 320–420 mg of elemental magnesium per day. As a laxative syrup with a concentration of 1.745 g of magnesium citrate per fl. oz, a typical dose for adults and children twelve years or older is between 7 and 10 US fluid ounces (210 and 300 ml; 7.3 and 10 imp fl oz), followed immediately with a full 8 US fluid ounces (240 ml; 8.3 imp fl oz) glass of water. Consuming an adult dose of 10 oz of laxative syrup (@ 1.745 g/oz) implies a consumption of 17.45 g of magnesium citrate in a single 10 oz dose resulting in a consumption of approximately 2.0 g of elemental magnesium per single dose. Given that this laxative dose contains six times the normal nutritional dose for magnesium, caution should be taken to avoid prolonged usage (i.e. over five days) and to follow the manufacturer's instructions strictly.[citation needed] For children between three and twelve years of age, the typical dose is roughly half that,[citation needed] based on physician recommendation. Magnesium citrate is not recommended for use in children and infants two years of age or less.[3]

17.45 grams !?
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Magnesium and shortness of breath

Postby johnny999 on May 29th, 2011, 6:53 pm

the solution for me is to not take it at night - that's the only real time this happens..
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Magnesium and shortness of breath

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management