Potassium Supplements

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Potassium Supplements

Postby johnny999 on May 17th, 2011, 11:10 pm

a few facts collected on Potassium:

-like mag, potassium can be lost in teh "output", especially with diuretics

Hypomagnesemia can cause hypokalemia. Magnesium is required for adequate processing of potassium.

Potassium is also important in preventing muscle contraction and the sending of all nerve impulses in animals through action potentials.

a 60 kg adult contains a total of about 120 grams of potassium.[38] The body has about as much potassium as sulfur. Only the major minerals calcium and phosphorus are more abundant, while sodium and chloride are each only about 2/3 of the potassium content.[39]

Foods rich in potassium include parsley, dried apricots, dried milk, chocolate, various nuts (especially almonds and pistachios), potatoes, bamboo shoots, bananas, avocados, soybeans, bran

Last edited by johnny999 on June 3rd, 2011, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Potato

Postby aussie sufferer on May 18th, 2011, 4:28 am

I eat spuds and chippys! most every day- no change....sorry bud....
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Re: Potato

Postby johnny999 on May 20th, 2011, 12:50 am

aussie sufferer wrote:I eat spuds and chippys! most every day- no change....sorry bud....
cheers
Rodger

: - (

well, i tried eating 2 potatoes at once, nothing yet..
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Potassium Supplements

Postby johnny999 on June 3rd, 2011, 10:40 pm

My blood potassium was on the low end of normal, so it makes sense for me to have a bit extra, I recommend others try some potassium rich foods in ADDITION to magnesium as well if your blood pressure isn't perfect - a magnesium deficiency results in potassium loss, AND potassium is normally MORE abundant in the body than magnesium - so it's very important. it's also good to limit sodium, which opposes potassium.

I'm still trying lots of potassium, in addition to magnesium, my twitching is still there (seems slightly better) But, my blood pressure has gone down. It's interesting that the RDA of potassium is 4,700 MG (and most Americans consume only half that amount per day), yet the FDA limits potassium per OTC serving/pill to 100 MG - 3 % of your daily value. In other words, you'd need to take 9 of those pills just for the amount found in a potato. I'm doing 3 bananas, 2 potatoes per day (plus sources of lesser significance like oatmeal, salad), in addition to mag supps and some extra pills of potassium dumped into my drinks if i fail to meet my potato quota :D

Also,there's a few posts on here of others who have had good results from potassium -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14594&p=103865&hilit=+potassium#p103865
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14604&p=103913&hilit=+potassium#p103913
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Potassium Supplements

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management