Aches, pain and inducable cramps?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Aches, pain and inducable cramps?

Postby TwitchyDoc on May 15th, 2011, 2:36 am

Hi,
I am nearly in the end of my 4th year of this crap. However I have never had achy muscles until now. My calf is sore, like stubbing pain. Occasionally this appears also in my arms adn its pretty uncomfortable. I do not get random cramps but when I flex my calf intentionally in some position, I will get cramps pretty easily. Is that normal for BFS?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: Aches, pain and inducable cramps?

Postby DoubleD on May 15th, 2011, 2:58 am

It took me about 3 years until the aches and pains set in. It is different for everyone but I guess that is what makes bfs so special. :D don't forget your also 4 years older. :?

I do not get random cramps but when I flex my calf intentionally in some position, I will get cramps pretty easily.

Me too. Plus my feet, biceps and hands. Pretty normal bfs.

Do you get any exercise?

DD
" By this all men will know that you are my diciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

10 years BFS
24/7 twitches all over
Cramps, tingling, buzzing, and a host of other weird things
Until you own your BFS, you will never disown als
DoubleD
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on May 15th, 2011, 4:15 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Hi,
I am nearly in the end of my 4th year of this crap. However I have never had achy muscles until now. My calf is sore, like stubbing pain. Occasionally this appears also in my arms adn its pretty uncomfortable. I do not get random cramps but when I flex my calf intentionally in some position, I will get cramps pretty easily. Is that normal for BFS?

cramps have been a constant problem for me, however that mag phos has certainly reduced them by at least 80%, like you i can induce them if i'm feeling a bit sadistic :lol:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on May 15th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Normal for BCFS - for me and others. Mine are much less then they were, but I still get them when there is less circulation to an area.
I flex my calf intentionally in some position, I will get cramps

Hmmm - you need to stop that. :roll:
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on May 15th, 2011, 11:48 pm

ImOK: I am not sure, what is normal for BFCS? I do not think I have as I have never get cramp on its own which I assume is part of BFCS.Thanks in advance
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on May 16th, 2011, 7:39 am

Can only speak for myself - muscles easily go into an overly-tense state which may develop into a full-fledged cramp if not mindfully relaxed, hyper-tense small muscle groups in specific places for periods of time (thighs, calves, neck, shoulders most common but also back jaw, etc, ad nauseum). Sensory issues, loss of feeling in extremities, fluttering/twitching & soreness. My neuro said BCFS so this is what I call it - others here have similar. Most of my symptoms have decreased markedly in the last few years with a relapse now and again but it was really bad for a while with lots of soft tissue injury (sprains, strains, swelling, etc.). I find it is best not to focus on it so am here at the forum only in short spurts then go away. Inducing cramps is like the opposite of what you should be doing IMO - get your head into learning to relax areas of tension and you will be much better off. Hope this helps.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on May 16th, 2011, 9:37 am

TwitchyDoc,

First, consider yourself lucky that it has taken 4 years for the aches and pains to kick in, for me, it happened in the very beginning. That said, I have to say that I worry about you focusing on your sxs so much. I can totally relate to how you feel and the overwhelming desire to know what is causing your sxs, but in the end, there are no good answers, only misery awaits you.....believe me, I've been there! Now, I'm not saying you should stop looking for answers, but I hear you talk about "repeatable" this and "induced" that and I flash back to myself and that all emcompassing fixation I had on my condition. It isn't good for you or your loved ones. At some point, you have to accept this mysteries diagnosis of "benign" whatever your neuro calls it and get on with your life. Do yourself a favor and work on your anxiety, stop focusing on your sxs, and go play golf or watch a movie or kiss your wife......life is just too short to be inducing cramps in perfectly normal muscles.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Postby raindog on May 16th, 2011, 6:56 pm

garym wrote:TwitchyDoc,

First, consider yourself lucky that it has taken 4 years for the aches and pains to kick in, for me, it happened in the very beginning. That said, I have to say that I worry about you focusing on your sxs so much. I can totally relate to how you feel and the overwhelming desire to know what is causing your sxs, but in the end, there are no good answers, only misery awaits you.....believe me, I've been there! Now, I'm not saying you should stop looking for answers, but I hear you talk about "repeatable" this and "induced" that and I flash back to myself and that all emcompassing fixation I had on my condition. It isn't good for you or your loved ones. At some point, you have to accept this mysteries diagnosis of "benign" whatever your neuro calls it and get on with your life. Do yourself a favor and work on your anxiety, stop focusing on your sxs, and go play golf or watch a movie or kiss your wife......life is just too short to be inducing cramps in perfectly normal muscles.

Take care,
Gary

Yeah :D once again you beat me to it boss :lol:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Noturnus on June 7th, 2011, 4:52 am

I get this soreness on my arms and it is very strong.
My calves are spared. Almost no twitches, no pain. I think my calves are the only regions of my body where I have no problem.
This keep me worried because everyone here and every article I read says benign fasciculations are stronger on the calves.
The arches of my feet twitch constantilly.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 7th, 2011, 5:58 am

Noturnus, I have not had them in calves more than 3 years. I started to getting them there like 5 months ago. This statement (benign fasciculations appear in calves) applies mainly for localized fasciculations, which - when occuring in calves - tend to be benign, ie if someone experiences localized back/forearm twitching, the neuro is usually more concerned.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby cenkay.a on June 7th, 2011, 11:27 am

/
Last edited by cenkay.a on January 21st, 2012, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitching since December 2010
cenkay.a
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 7th, 2011, 11:51 am

cenkay: You probably missed the point of my post, please read it again - it was an example. Noturnus is worried as calf twitching is regarded generally as being most likely benign. And yes, that applies if twitching is isolated, also not in another muscle groups. If you go to the neuro only with twitching calves, he would be less concerned than if you came with ONLY twitching in one forearm, e.g. You are confusing isolated and widespread symptoms. Regarding the tongue, I have never ever write a theory, many people here including me proves that the medical knowledge is not accurate and tongue twitching can be as well benign, despite what textbook says. As Garym said, the only thing that matters is our experience, not opinion of some neuros.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby cenkay.a on June 7th, 2011, 12:17 pm

/
Last edited by cenkay.a on January 21st, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitching since December 2010
cenkay.a
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mommylondon on June 7th, 2011, 12:45 pm

TD, I really think Cenkay is just trying to say that some of your posts, you bring some of what you have read in text books and bring it to the stage here, and when you have newbies on here who dont understand how BFS works or even some neuro diseases for that matter, some of what you reply with can be quite scary and even confusing to someone coming here looking for reassurance. There are alot of people who dont post here but hang out here, reading, trying to acquire good info, and avoid reading bad or scary info online with Dr. Google.

But I do understand that its not your intention to scare folks.

Take care

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on June 7th, 2011, 2:18 pm

So probably it is better to let here hang information what Noturnus brought, that every article dealing with BFS says it affects mostly calves? That is more "scary" than positive explanation I provided. But no problem :)
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management