Old Hair Mineral analysis results

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Old Hair Mineral analysis results

Postby johnny999 on May 10th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Just reviewed some old hair mineral analysis tests from 7 years ago when i was 13 (don't know how relevant these would be), and everything was normal with the exception of a few things significantly off the scales. There were about 60 metals tested, toxic and non-toxic:

The only toxic metal "out of bounds" was tin, but it was barely above the normal range.

The low, out of bounds "good" metals:

Magnesium - 9 ug/g (ref. range 18-70) -4th percentile

Calcium - 106 ug/g (ref. range 200-700) - 2.5th percentile

Cobalt - 0.005 ug/g (ref. range 0.013-0.035) -below the 1rst percentile

Lithium - undectectable (0.007-0.023)

Has anyone else ever had a hair mineral analysis ?

Does Cobalt (a component of B12) have any relevance to twitching?

The reason I was wondering about B12 is because before the twitching started in September 2010, a surgery required a few hours of nitrous oxide anesthesia, which usually wipes out one's B12 levels.

as wikipedia states,
Nitrous oxide inactivates the cobalamin form of vitamin B12 by oxidation. Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, including sensory neuropathy, myelopathy, andencephalopathy, can occur within days or weeks of exposure to nitrous oxide anesthesia in people with subclinical vitamin B12 deficiency. Symptoms are treated with high doses of vitamin B12, but recovery can be slow and incomplete. People with normal vitamin B12 levels have sufficient vitamin B12 stores to make the effects of nitrous oxide insignificant, unless exposure is repeated and prolonged (such as recreational use). Vitamin B12 levels should be checked in people with risk factors for vitamin B12 deficiency prior to using nitrous oxide anesthesia. Chronic nitrous oxide B12 poisoning (usually from use of nitrous oxide as a recreational drug), however, may result in B12 functional deficiency even with normal measured blood levels of B12.[20]

Vitamin B12 deficiency can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system. At levels only slightly lower than normal, a range of symptoms such as fatigue, depression, and poor memory may be experienced.[10]However, these symptoms by themselves are too nonspecific to diagnose deficiency of the vitamin.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Old Hair Mineral analysis results

Postby bfshopeful on May 11th, 2011, 8:24 pm

I had it all done...they found nothing with me.
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Re: Old Hair Mineral analysis results

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management