It happened again..tongue twitch..in the middle!

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: It happened again..tongue twitch..in the middle!

Postby RunningBear on March 28th, 2011, 2:26 pm

TwitchyDoc,

I have nothing to add here, I don't think I have even had a tongue twitch. But I understand your fear, your concern. I am sorry for this, but I think you are OK, hang in there. RB
RunningBear
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 29th, 2011, 3:53 am

Well that is the problem, why not many people with BFS get them in the tongue? If this is one homogenous disorder, everyone should encounter these at some point during the course of their BFS.
Many long timers never had them and that is why I am scared.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby dARR on March 29th, 2011, 5:28 am

After 5 years you are a long-timer twitchy doc.
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby mommylondon on March 29th, 2011, 10:03 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Well that is the problem, why not many people with BFS get them in the tongue? If this is one homogenous disorder, everyone should encounter these at some point during the course of their BFS.

Yes TD, we all have BFS, but some of us get stuff that others dont and you know this. Some BFSers have constant calf twitches and some get allover body twitches. Some of us get really stiff or tight calves, and some you will never hear them complain about leg issues. Some get horrible sensory issues along with the twitches, and some only experience the twitching. I am not sure how you calculated that not that many have had tongue twitches on here. I know when mine started to twitch over a year ago now, that I pulled up several posts from past to present of people on here that have experienced them. They are very common with this condition. Does that mean everyone gets them, NO, but alot do. I am also confident that there are some who have had tongue ones and just dont notice them. It happens.

Try to relax TD, you have had BFS a long time now.

Take care

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby bw2 on March 29th, 2011, 1:41 pm

last thing i will post on this subject, cause it is too suggestive for most on here to read. i didn't make one thing clear in my earlier post about my neuro appoinment. The twitch would be a continuous wave throughout the whole tongue and tremendous damage would be evident at the point of fasciculations being evident and typically you would see that one side of the tongue would be damaged(atophyied) I didn't mean that the twitch would be on one side and constant. Again, i can't stress enough that he assured me that anyone with this happening that damage was occuring, they don't have to look too hard for evidence. I hope this helps and sorry if i stressed anyone.
bw2

Postby lovinmylittleboys on March 29th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Thank u BW you are a lifesaver:) I pray that someday I can accept my *beep* constant tongue twitch, I really do. No offense twitchy doc, and I am not trying to be a [email protected]#$%!, but have u tried anxiety meds?? I mean you have been going on and on about this tongue thing, and quite frankly your posts scare the crap out of other tongue twitchers and newbies! There are lots of tongue twitchers on here, believe it or not............I have talked to many. Did you still not get that emg, maybe u should and you could put it to rest! Every nuero I have read about and seen (except yours apparently) has told me the same thing............twitching in and of itself is no reason for concern, and the tongue is not special, it is a muscle and can twitch just likt any other muscle. I just hate for newbies to come on and read your theories on how its rare outside of als, because that will scare the sh*t out of them (it did me) and it simply isnt true. All 3 nueros I saw said they have several patients with begnign tounge twitches ..........so u figure how many nueros are there in the US......millions......if they each had several begnign tongue twitchers.........well u can do the math! Anyways I understand that you get scared, hell we all do, but maybe try to keep your posts a little more gentle. Tongue twitching is out there.....and yes mine is constant while resting and so are a couple other peoples I have talked to! You are ok:) Ok sorry about spelling errors and such, hungry baby no time to proof read! p.s. I hope I didnt offend anyone!
Misery LOVES company........
lovinmylittleboys

Postby tiggida on March 29th, 2011, 9:55 pm

I am a newbie and I have had tongue twitching. It hasn't been a hotspot for me yet though, but I have had them, this probably won't help much because so many have commented and you are still very upset about your tongue twitching, but I thought I would let you know that I am yet another one out there that does experience the twitching. It seems to me that this is just your hotspot at the moment. I feel for you. Anxiety is the killer. Try to relax, we are all here for you.
Tanya
tiggida
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby fox2run on April 6th, 2011, 10:19 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Well that is the problem, why not many people with BFS get them in the tongue? If this is one homogenous disorder, everyone should encounter these at some point during the course of their BFS.

I have had them on the tip of my tongue. It lasted a coupple of months. It looks funny, right? Relax, dude. The tongue is a muscle like everyhing else. Its C O M M O N.... Ce oh em em oh en... :D

As a doc u should be more afraid of cancer, it takes people out all the time. BFS aint working that way. I once read a fine quote from an ALS-sufferer (who was very calm about the whole thing):

"ALS is not about how your body FEELS, its about how your body FAILS". :!:

Im among the top-ten twitchers on this site. I have had the tongue-ones under my feet, pins and needles, fatigue you name it. In 5 minutes Im going on my routine-run for about 4-5 km. Its done on twitching feets that have been so non-stop for 4 years. I can wistle, eat, speak, run, play football, lift my kids - whatever. So can u. You have BFS and thats it. A doc like you shouldnt be afraid of diseases. You are everyday heroes. Now, leave this site and heal your patients! :twisted:
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby fox2run on April 6th, 2011, 11:06 am

Just an update:

I just finished my 4,5 km run on twitching feets and calfs and a little pain along wiht it. Nothing unusual. (Pls dont count the time between the two posts as a running-time, I needed to change close, warm up etc.)

Regards

fox2run
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby Noturnus on April 7th, 2011, 7:31 am

What happens when you protude your tongue? It deviates to the side you think is wasted? or it stays centralized? The doctors who examined me said my protuded tongue is centralized and that is a indicative that it is strong and healthlly. They said a weak tongue deviates to the side.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on April 7th, 2011, 8:52 am

Noturnus: When I stick my tongue out, it goes straight so there is no unilateral weakness. You are right about this as if one side is weaker, the opposite side "overpushes" it and the tongue then deviates to the weaker one. However tongue consists of more muscles and slight wasting of some of them does not have to lead to this presentation of weakness. Actually when my tongue is resting, I can see two small pits (dimples?) on the right side while the left side is smooth.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby puggles88 on April 7th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I have a twitchy tongue AND perceived slurred speech. I would LOVE to only have the twitching. My neuro said that the twitching isn't usually in the middle but on the edges because muscle wasting would happen from the edges in. I even took videos of my own tongue to show the Dr and he wouldn't even look at them (lol, I know...sad).
This is the stuff that drives me crazy,
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
But in the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed
Cause this is the stuff You use.
puggles88

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Symptom Management