Twitching after poking.

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching after poking.

Postby Noturnus on March 22nd, 2011, 2:20 pm

Is there anybody here who can induce twitches by poking on the muscle?
I have this on my thenar eminences (more easier to do on the left one) and this is making me very very worried.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Twitching after poking.

Postby tiggida on March 22nd, 2011, 2:28 pm

When my face muscles are really active, I can like, touch my eyelid, or eyebrow, whatever it may be and make them start going off. I would say that is similar to poking.
tiggida
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dARR on March 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm

Noturnus wrote:Is there anybody here who can induce twitches by poking on the muscle?
I have this on my thenar eminences (more easier to do on the left one) and this is making me very very worried.

Anyone with a join date in 2009 and who has had multiple emgs does not have to be worried about any kind of twitch...you know this man.
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on March 22nd, 2011, 6:32 pm

Darr hit the nail on the head. Beyond that, I have been able to induce twitching at times via multiple methods. Not sure if I've ever tried poking. I'll have to remember that one for next time I'm bored with time to kill.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Noturnus on March 22nd, 2011, 6:38 pm

I can induce them only on my thenars. Sometimes very small twitches, sometimes very strong twitches, sometimes nothing. there are times when the twitches are so strong they move my thumb quite hard.
I am only one year with with fasciculations.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RandyR on March 22nd, 2011, 7:05 pm

dARR wrote:
Noturnus wrote:Is there anybody here who can induce twitches by poking on the muscle?

Anyone with a join date in 2009 and who has had multiple emgs does not have to be worried about any kind of twitch...you know this man.

Is there like a time length where you don't have to worry, im going on 7 months and am still in the freaked out mode. :shock:

Not being sarcastic just wondering.
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby twin2 on March 22nd, 2011, 8:54 pm

Sure can. Especially on my hands. Thumbs and muscle under pinkie. I can induce it, but I don't because it freaks me out. Stop doing that!
twin2
Saint
Saint

Postby bw2 on March 23rd, 2011, 8:39 am

i was catching up on my post reading and saw Randy's question and i thought i should answer this one. The proper amount of time that needs to pass on worrying is the second your doctor says what you have is not life threatening. Once the test are done and the diagnosis is made, you should have your quality of life back and learn to deal with the symptoms you have knowing you are ok outside of the issues your syptoms cause you. Anything else is wasting the time that is so precious to each of us. Its not easy, i know, otherwise i wouldn't even keep coming back and reading post. i have 11 months in and it does get better to deal with.

oh and on the poking issue, i will play my neuro on this one, WHY WOULD YOU POKE YOURSELF. The reason i say that is not to be cruel but i was freaked out months ago because when i put my teeth together in the front they rattled, his comment was WHY WOULD YOU PUT THEM TOGETHER LIKE THAT, ITS NOT NATURAL.
bw2

Postby RandyR on March 23rd, 2011, 10:34 am

bw2 wrote:i was catching up on my post reading and saw Randy's question and i thought i should answer this one. The proper amount of time that needs to pass on worrying is the second your doctor says what you have is not life threatening. Once the test are done and the diagnosis is made, you should have your quality of life back and learn to deal with the symptoms you have knowing you are ok outside of the issues your syptoms cause you. Anything else is wasting the time that is so precious to each of us. Its not easy, i know, otherwise i wouldn't even keep coming back and reading post. i have 11 months in and it does get better to deal with.

oh and on the poking issue, i will play my neuro on this one, WHY WOULD YOU POKE YOURSELF. The reason i say that is not to be cruel but i was freaked out months ago because when i put my teeth together in the front they rattled, his comment was WHY WOULD YOU PUT THEM TOGETHER LIKE THAT, ITS NOT NATURAL.

Thank you for the comment. :D Yes I should do just that and I try my best too but it's so hard sometimes. But that is very good advise that we should all go by and I thank you for it. God Bless

Randy
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby Noturnus on March 23rd, 2011, 4:07 pm

twin2 wrote:Sure can. Especially on my hands. Thumbs and muscle under pinkie. I can induce it, but I don't because it freaks me out. Stop doing that!

Finally someone who can do it too!!! :)
That poking thing and the lacking of fasciculations on calves are the things that makes me feel different from the people here on this forum.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 24th, 2011, 2:39 am

Noturnus, I do not have fasciculations in calves either. I do have them in the thigs a few times per day, but mainly upper body. And yes, sometimes I can induce fasciculations in my thenars and sometimes shoulders by poking or grabbing that muscle. I have read about it several times on this forum..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby glitterwater on March 24th, 2011, 7:52 am

One of the first things I was told was "these twitches can be provoked." This was at the Cleveland Clinic and the doctor called it "benign myoclonus."
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 24th, 2011, 8:25 am

glitterwater, are you sure about that? Myoclonus is pretty different from fasciculations. In myoclonic jerks, whole muscle (or even muscles forming a group) twitches. In layperson terms, you would not see "bundles" of your muscle twitching under your skin as your whole muscle would twitch. Did he not say myokymia?
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Noturnus on March 24th, 2011, 10:48 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Noturnus, I do not have fasciculations in calves either. I do have them in the thigs a few times per day, but mainly upper body. And yes, sometimes I can induce fasciculations in my thenars and sometimes shoulders by poking or grabbing that muscle. I have read about it several times on this forum..

It is what happens to me. I am mainly a upper body twitcher. Biceps, Triceps and Thenars are the muscles that twitch the most. Carbamazepine is VERY VERY VERY EFFECTIVE on me. The only twitches that drug can't stop are the induced thenar ones. I think we have the same variant. I would like to twitch more on my calves and less elsewhere because the upper body twitches are harder to ignore than the lower body ones and I read on many places that benign twitches are more frequent on the calves.

I have a aching on my muscles. The same aching you get on you exercise too much. The funny thing is that this aching get much better after I exercise. I started to do Weight Training on a very good gym and the effect on my muscles is being amazing. less pain, less fatigue. I feel much much better.

I see people here complaining all the time about lower body muscles fasciculations and how bad they become after they exercise. For me it is upper body and gets better after exercise.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby glitterwater on March 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm

To answer Twitchy Doc's question, I've been told benign myoclonus, myokymia, partial epilepsy or, my personal favorite, "I don't know." So many opinions that I've stopped getting opinions! I seem to have a little bit of everything, including myoclonic jerks. Just passing on what one doc said--that often twitches can be provoked. He asked me if I ever noticed this. I gave him a few examples where I had and he told me "benign myoclonus." But, he could have been wrong. My current neurologist didn't like that diagnosis and refuses to label it at all.
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management