Twitching after movement, anyone?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Twitching after movement, anyone?

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 14th, 2011, 2:56 am

It is not new for me, just interested. I often do get twitching in especially arms and shoulders in the morning when I change my position in the bed. Generally I think it happens if the muscle is not used for a while and then I suddenly use it. My upper arms often "jumps" for a few seconds after stretching.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: Twitching after movement, anyone?

Postby msm on March 14th, 2011, 3:18 am

Yes the exact same thing happens to me but it happens when I get out of bed and go in to brush my teeth. When I first raise my arms or stretch my shoulders and back of my arms twitch. I also get twitching if I put my arm up on something, lean on my elbow, hold up a cell phone or sometimes just raise it up to get something out of a cupboard. A lot of movements including sneezing or coughing can set of twitching for me. Totally normal for this condition.

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby Barbie800 on March 14th, 2011, 6:27 am

All the time especially in the mornings. If I stretch twitches go off like crazy. Sneezing will also set off rib twitches. I remember asking this question a year ago of other members and many said they experience the same thing.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 14th, 2011, 6:36 am

Oh yes, the sneezing! Even my wife gets these after sneezing.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on March 14th, 2011, 7:29 am

There are many movements that can induce twitching for me. Excercise is the worst for twitching. When I ride the bike for an hour my legs go nuts for a while after.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby zenseo on March 14th, 2011, 11:39 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:It is not new for me, just interested. I often do get twitching in especially arms and shoulders in the morning when I change my position in the bed. Generally I think it happens if the muscle is not used for a while and then I suddenly use it. My upper arms often "jumps" for a few seconds after stretching.

This has always been the case for me. When I turn over, I will get twitching in my back, arms, shoulders, neck, etc. On a lazy morning, I feel like a popcorn machine. Once I get up and moving, the twitching is reduced to the random thumpers I get throughout the day.
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dARR on March 14th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Hey,
I posted the same topic some months ago.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15452&p=110675&hilit=movement#p110633

I most certainly twitch with movement, sneezing and rolling over in bed will set off a cascade of twitches!!
This seems to come and go though recently...Im taking it as a sign of improvement.

I have never turned into a cat though.
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby zenseo on March 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Darr,

I think you and I have the same exact symptoms. I think I read somewhere that your problems began after months of stress/anxiety? Mine did too. And, after a prescription to Lexapro—although I am not sure if that was just a coincidence. I've experienced the sneezing phenomena for a long time, but oddly enough this week it seems to have vanished. I am just getting over a bad upper respiratory infection/flu and while I've been experiencing an increase in those nighttime and morning jerks, every time I sneeze my eyelids remain still. I am sure that will all change, though.

As far as the cat goes, that is my late and beloved "Ernie." After losing him, my partner took to calling me Ernie. Recently I posted a response on the BFS groups wall on FB and when I googled myself, it was the first thing that showed up. Although I am more than happy to participate in forum discussions, I am a little sensitive to the personal nature of some of the information shared. I don't want my employer or colleagues stumbling across certain personal and sensitive health related information. Thus, I thought it would be better to feature little Ernie here, although I don't suspect anyone would be searching here unless they were looking for legitimate support and information. I did request that the admin of the FB close the group so only members could read it.

Best-
S
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dARR on March 14th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Sorry to hear about Ernie zenseo,
Yes my twitching started after a period of HIGH anxiety, I mean i was so anxious that I lost the ability to function in my daily life, in the language of a previous generation I probably had a nervous breakdown of some sort.

Im fine now, but yet I twitch. I think it was due to the stress on my body and mind... the pressure flipped a switch somewhere....but I guess il never know. For me anxiety and specifically health anxiety preceded the twitches so I believe there is connection of some kind. I also had just quit smoking and I know that can fry your nerves too....there are so many questions and so few answers.
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby zenseo on March 14th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Interesting. My health anxieties--the precursor to my twitching--were triggered when I quit smoking early 2004. I ended up giving in to the awful feelings and starting smoking again. Unfortunately, the anxieties didn't disappear. I finally was able to quit cold turkey about 5 years ago.
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tiggida on March 14th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Everything that everyone posted in response to your question is exactly what happens to me, EXACTLY!!! right now my hotspots are my hands and fingers, both sides. All day today with cleaning, etc.. anything that uses your hands, which is alot, I get finger twitching. It's the worst in my right hand thumb and first finger. I get twitching in all my muscles though, randomly and if I use it after not using it for awhile, such as waking in the morning or just in the evening switching positions in bed.
tiggida
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dutch Ron on March 29th, 2011, 1:48 am

I am a twitcher form 1/4/07 (now 56) and am just visiting once in a while this board (esepecially when the twitching is worsening to loo for new develepment). And yes, the morning twitching is very classic. When I wake up and lie quiet in bed, nothing happens, but as soon as I stretch and start moving, wow....
Lately also more cramps in the foot arches. Movement/exercise eggagerates the titching. It also varies thorugh time. There are periods that the twitching is less and periods that it is worse. I have not found any connection yet.
As Some of you know form past posts, I am a medical doctor myself and this thing is a true enigma.
dutch Ron

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management