So widespread and frequent?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

So widespread and frequent?

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 4th, 2011, 2:27 am

Well, I have gave a try to pregabalinum and started to take Lyrica instead of carbamazepine (Tegretol) which was very effective for me. Really bad mistake. Since then my twitching increased to the point that I am in the high anxiety again.
It looks like this:
Every 10-20 seconds I get few twitches in either arms, legs, neck or abdomen or back. I cannot go minute without a twitch.
Please could anyone relate to this?
Thanks in advance :(

Docen
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Re: So widespread and frequent?

Postby RandyR on March 4th, 2011, 2:39 am

I can relate to the twitching, I twitch every few seconds somewhere or another. The ones on the neck and face bother me the most though. Sorry you are having to go through this too but you are not alone.
PAX ARMIS ACQUIRITUR

But they who wait upon the lord shall
renew their strength; they shall mount up with
wings as Eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.(ISAIAH 40:31)
RandyR
Hero
Hero

Postby TwitchyDoc on March 4th, 2011, 3:06 am

Thank you for such a quick answer. I really appreciate it. Its horrible, after few years I feel like in the first weeks of this. I will get carbamazepine again in a few hours and start using it. Hope it will have as miraculous effect as last time.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby glitterwater on March 4th, 2011, 8:07 am

That's how it was for me before meds. Made me completely nauseous because the twitching was so widespread and frequent--at least one twitch per minute. I know there have been mixed results with Lyrica on this board. Sorry it didn't work for you. I haven't tried it.
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Noturnus on March 4th, 2011, 5:28 pm

carbamazepine is very effective for me too.
When taking lyrica I got a constant, 1 per sec, spasm on my left thenar eminence that was non stop and only got better after I stoped the drug.
Noturnus
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Barbie800 on March 4th, 2011, 9:31 pm

I'm contantly twitching all over from head to toe. Sometimes every few minutes. Totally normal for BFS.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby dreadpirateroberts on March 5th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I twitch at least once every 5 seconds in both calves and in both insteps and probably once every 10 seconds randomly everywhere else. This adds up to literally 10's of thousands a day, along with cramping muscles. So count your self lucky! I have often wondered how many out there have actually tried to count up the number they have per day. I hope I'm not the only one with this many as I freak out enough as it is.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby zenseo on March 5th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Same here. Non-stop in my calves and feet, and pretty consistent in my thighs. Then, the various and random ones everywhere else. I have pretty much adapted to the madness of that, but "hotspots" that go on for weeks drives me crazy. I've never considered counting, but I would bet it's over 10,000 a day, easily.
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aussie sufferer on March 6th, 2011, 12:23 am

TD I twitch all the time. 1000's..probably 10s of 1000s a day. Mostly in the calves. But the intensity and position of the twitches for the most part are subtle, so they are easy to ignore (easier after 12 odd months as well) . Having said that if I put self into a position where I am tired, rundown or overly anxious they will go mad. Control those things and you will cotrol 90% of the twitching ( both intensity and duration) guaranteed! And you can do it.... Just takes a little discipline,attitude change to the twitching, and perhaps a lifestyle change. And perhaps some drugs ( in my case lexapro) to help out. Time also 'heals' I believe I will be twitching for ever. Just a case of bringing that down to a manageable level (physical and mental management). I decided not to let the twitching dominate/dictate my life, it is far too short for that
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby Angst1986 on March 7th, 2011, 5:33 am

I've been twitching for over two years know and still haven't detected any pattern. It does not seem to depend of illnesses, stress levels, sports, food/caffeine/alcohol or anything else. There are days when it's more frequent and days when it's less frequent. My main area are calves and thighs, but I actually get twitches everywhere. The only thing I noticed is that twitches in the area of my wrists, neck and eyelids have somehow reduced a bit during the past year or so. Or maybe I just don't notice them anymore.

Back then, my neuro prescribed me some pills called called Limptar. The active agent in this medicine is some sort of Quinine Sulfate. After checking up some info on this agent I decided not to get the medicine because the possible side effects (heart arrythmia) seemed way to risky to me. I mean, I would have taken the meds if it was a matter of life and death, but not just because it might reduce the twitching, which is entirely harmless anyway.

As in all my posts: I'm not saying that you should take this medicine, BUT you MIGHT want to get some information about it or ask your doctor if it's safe enough to try.
"Fear is only in our mind,
but it's taking over all the time."

- Evanescense, Sweet Sacrifice
Angst1986
Hero
Hero

Postby Barbie800 on March 7th, 2011, 7:58 am

Angst1986 wrote:I've been twitching for over two years know and still haven't detected any pattern. It does not seem to depend of illnesses, stress levels, sports, food/caffeine/alcohol or anything else. There are days when it's more frequent and days when it's less frequent. My main area are calves and thighs, but I actually get twitches everywhere. The only thing I noticed is that twitches in the area of my wrists, neck and eyelids have somehow reduced a bit during the past year or so. Or maybe I just don't notice them anymore.

This describes me exactly. Strange how so many of us experience the exact same thing.
Barbie800
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on March 8th, 2011, 1:36 pm

I have not gone one waking minute without a twitch in well over 5 years. Should I be worried about this and should my anxiety skyrocket because of it? No!....because I know it is benign. Annoying? Yes!...but ultimately harmless.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby tiggida on March 12th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Yes, I get it all over and all the time. I like to describe them as little muscle explosions that go off at random. When it first started I had thousands a day, that was 8 months ago, for about 4 months straight. I ended up preganant and the twitching has decreased to around 100 or so a day. I have been wondering if this is due to the pregnancy. Anyway, right now, my hotspot is all fingers on both hands with random twitching in the rest of my body. Very emotionally draining. :?
tiggida
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kitkat on March 16th, 2011, 10:39 am

mine are widespread and frequent.they drive me mad.my eye lid has been twitching alot today
kitkat

Postby fox2run on April 12th, 2011, 6:38 am

TwitchyDoc wrote:Well, I have gave a try to pregabalinum and started to take Lyrica instead of carbamazepine (Tegretol) which was very effective for me. Really bad mistake. Since then my twitching increased to the point that I am in the high anxiety again.
It looks like this:
Every 10-20 seconds I get few twitches in either arms, legs, neck or abdomen or back. I cannot go minute without a twitch.
Please could anyone relate to this?
Thanks in advance :(

Docen

Yes, its sounds like something called BFS. I think theres a website about the stuff btw. I think its called "aboutBFS.com" but Im not sure... :mrgreen:
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management