Is it Parkinson's?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is it Parkinson's?

Postby PatSue1223 on January 31st, 2004, 11:54 am

I have twitches on my hands alot. my fingers seems to twitch on their own. my hands sometimes feel numb or like they are pulsating. I'm scared I have Parkinson's disease. I'm only 32. I saw that michael J Fox stared with a hand tremor and now I;m fixated on that!
Thanks for listening.
Pat :roll:
PatSue1223

Postby garym on February 1st, 2004, 12:30 am

See a neurologist, or atleast your family dr. It's not worth wasting time worrying about the unknown.

good luck,
Gary
garym

Postby uber on February 1st, 2004, 1:18 pm

Patsue how long have you had the twitches?? have you had any other symptoms i.e loss of facial expression? do you keep smelling strange things that cant be explained?

Id follow garym's advice and see a neurologist regarding this, he will be able to tell if you are developing any signs of PD.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Twitchman on May 22nd, 2004, 9:57 pm

i've been wondering the same exact thing lately due to what MJF said about his first symptoms also. my thumb twitches a lot, i've been twitching for a couple years now. it started at a time where i was extremely worried and depressed like i had never been before. it used to be a lot worse especially at that time but i still twitch from time to time in different parts of my body. i'm a little worried about parkinson's because my grandmother was diagnosed about 15 years ago. i'm only 23 years old though so it would be somewhat early for me to be having symptoms. sometimes i like twitching and i think it's kind of funny...if it is harmless that is.
Twitchman
Interested
Interested

Postby Jenn311 on May 23rd, 2004, 10:00 am

Hey Twitchman~

Have you been seen by a neuro? My left thumb twitches a LOT. The right one, not at all. And though I twitch all over, I have been wondering lately if this whole non-stop twitching in my thumbs may be due to something else, like carpel tunnel syndrome. I've heard that can make you twitch as well.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchman on May 23rd, 2004, 10:36 pm

no, i've never seen a nurologist. i went to my doctor and she wanted me to get screened for ms but that wasn't it. i found this website and read up on bfs and pretty much diagnosed myself. i'm sure it's not carpel tunnel syndrome if you twitch all over. i wouldn't worry. too much. it's not als because twitching starts after loss of motor skills and is confined to muscles that are dead and not all over the body. and i really don't think it's parkinsons because parkinsons doesn't create "twitches" but involuntary fluid movements. like i said, i've been twitching for about 2 years now and it's actually a lot better than it was when it started. i couldn't relax my body without twitching somewhere every few seconds. now some days go by where i don't twitch at all or at least i don't notice it anymore. destressing yourself helps a lot. if your mind is possessed by something that causes you constant worry, you will twitch. if you clear your mind and relax, your twitching has a great chance of getting better. unfortunately sometimes it's impossible to stop stressing about things if they are important enough. try to find a solution to your stress.
Twitchman
Interested
Interested

Postby Jenn311 on May 23rd, 2004, 11:33 pm

Clear your mind~

I like that. GOod advice. Hard to do, but good advice.
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby uber on May 26th, 2004, 11:59 am

Although MJF did describe his first symptom as twitching in his finger, what he has probably got it confused with is rest tremor which is a classic early symptom of Parkinsons, especially in 1 hand or 1 finger.

At 32 its very doubtful you have Parkinsons and on top of that your symptoms dont sound anything like parkinsons either. Basically you are telling us you have some none specific symptoms in your left hand which could be caused by a hundred different things.

Best thing to go see a neurologist and see what he makes of it, but I can pretty much tell you that unless he detects any other abnormalities while he screens you, with those hand symptoms alone (the way you described them here) he's probably gonna send you away undiagnosed and tell you to come back in 6 months.
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on August 5th, 2004, 1:22 pm

I just got freaked out about this because I am having a constant twitch in my hand right now that is causing my pointer finger to move and jerk slightly . . . but I twitch in my calves and feet as well, so I can't imagine this is PD. (I think irrationally.) My feet twitches make my toes move sometimes.

I've also had essential tremor for years -- there is a big difference between that and a PD tremor. Seems lots of folks here have ET as well as benign finger twitches.

I think the MJF comment shook up alot of people -- as well as his age. Keep in mind it is very rare to get PD as young as he did -- or anywhere close to his age. This is normally a disease of the elderly. Also, he later clarified in an interview that his (pinkie) finger was having a tremor -- not a twitch. And it was probably pretty pronounced and nothing like what we here experience as twitchers -- at least I hope not!

Alot of folks develop other signs of PD before they even start with the resting pin rolling tremor anyways.

My guess is you have ET.
speg
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management