Spine/Disc Problems before BFS

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Spine/Disc Problems before BFS

Postby thetwitchkid on November 25th, 2003, 3:08 pm

Does anyone recall having back problems prior to their BFS?

My symptoms seemed to start about the same time I had some painful lower back problems. (about a month after and after chiropractor)
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pole on November 26th, 2003, 3:43 am

I also had mild back problems before twitching - it was pain in lower back, but not very often (once a month). I don't think that there is any connection in my case.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby SusanSid on November 27th, 2003, 2:01 am

Hi twitch,
I have had years of degenerative disc problems, started in my early 30's. To make a long story short, I have had months of problems followed by months of relief. My problem was my cervial 4-5 disc and lumbar 5- sacral 1 disc. Yes, I feel for sure that it makes the fasciculations worse. I had an MRI of both disc areas this year to see how they looked. Not much has changed, but "nothing alarming" either. My back doc said that if you have any type of irratation on the spinal cord it can cause all types of symptoms including making fasiculations worse.

I get frustrated when they don't go away and feel that there are many different reasons why we have them. Why is it that some people have neurological problems after the flu shot? Yes, it's extremely rare, but it does happen. BFS is pretty darn uncommon, so why do we have it? The million dollar question, I suppose.

Take care
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ray on November 27th, 2003, 10:17 pm

I too feel your frustration Susan. Do you feel that your BFS is a result of a Flu shot? I often wonder if it was the Flu shot which brought on my BFS. If I had thought that there was any concern I would've never had had that shot. I was at the doctor for something unrelated and just thought that while I was there I get the shot, kill two birds with one stone, hmmmm. I was also under a lot of stress at the time. I guess I'll never know.

Ray
Ray

Postby SusanSid on November 29th, 2003, 3:09 am

Hi Ray,

Regarding the flu shot. There is documentation that some people can have a neurological side effects from the flu shot (not permanent), but it's evidence that isn't really well documented and hard to find. Like all immunizations, there is a very small risk, but the risk of dying from the disease is far greater without the immunzation...especially people who are in high risk groups (elderly, immuno compromised, people with certain diseases).
I know people who won't get a flu shot if their life depended upon it and many are lined up for it, even thougth they aren't in a high risk category. That's a hard one.
Sue :-)
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby steves on December 2nd, 2003, 12:33 am

About one week prior to the onset of my fasciculations, I had terrible upper back & neck pain. It was just starting to subside when my fasciculations began. In fact, I was scheduled to see my GP about the back and neck pain (for a while, I could barely turn my head w/o shooting pain), but ended up discussing the fasciculations more, instead. I've heard one might cause the other, but I really don't know for sure.

Steve
steves

Postby Jenn311 on December 2nd, 2003, 8:50 am

Interesting! I haven't heard of that one yet...maybe you could request an MRI of the upper spine to check for any signs of compression? Since they happened so close together there must be some sort of relationship...

I have heard people say that their neuros diagnosed the cause of their twitching being from disc problems. I don't know much about it though.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby thetwitchkid on December 2nd, 2003, 9:09 am

Thanks for the replys!
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby steves on December 4th, 2003, 12:40 am

I had the MRI already (a couple of days before my EMG), and it was pretty normal, except for a pinched nerve between the 5th(?) and 6th vertebrae. Actually, I haven't had any back pain since that time back in August. It's these *beep* twitches and calf aches that are the problem. I say that somewhat in jest, as I've pretty much learned to live with this BFS stuff. The more I ignore the symptoms, the better off I am. I actually went a day or two without even thinking about the fact that I was twitching. That's progress!!!
steves

Postby speg on June 9th, 2004, 9:16 pm

I had a disc removed in my lower back many years ago. I still have back pain from time to time. Oddly, the leg that had all the pain and problems is the same leg that is twitching! The neuro that did my disc removal surgery said my sciatic nerve was completely bent! Makes me wonder . . . also, my left calf has some residual numbness ever since the surgery. Sometimes when I shave that leg, I can't feel it and I cut myself?

peg
Last edited by speg on June 10th, 2004, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby thetwitchkid on June 10th, 2004, 8:06 am

Peg:

I would explore this further, given your back history and that your twitching is happening in an area that is related to the problem area from before.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 10th, 2004, 8:17 am

I just saw my back doctor the day before the twitching started too!

I have read where disc problems can cause numbness and even twitching -- and a neck disc problem can even affect the legs. I have disc problems in both my neck and back.

Of course, this doesn't explain why the twitching has now spread to my other calf! :( (In some ways, a good sign.)

I will mention it if it doesn't resolve in a few weeks. My psychiatrist swears the SSRI caused it. We'll see.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Saundra Hearn on June 10th, 2004, 4:16 pm

I have had lower back pains for years, and I just started twitching 8 weeks ago.
Saundra Hearn
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby John on June 10th, 2004, 9:20 pm

First off, I do not believe that there is any conection between BfS and back or disc problems. There may be some conection between twitching and back problems ,this I will grant you .

But this does bring up a funny story about my first " Neurologist". After going through many of the same fears and ,and the same test that many of us have , I was sent to a Neurologist . He was a kind and gentle man ,but he reminded my of Carl, from the movie Sling Blade , uuh huu
After the basic Neurological exam ,he ordered an MRI on my brain and my back . These ,thank God were both clear , and so was the Nerve conduction study on my legs ,
At this point he was fishing for answers and ordered more blood work. Again, the results were normal . Then " DR. Carl " tells my that despite the clear MRI that he thouhgt I had a ruptured disc in my lwer back ,and ordered a Spinal Tap . It was at this point that I said good bye " Carl " and and ran like h___ to another Neurologist , who diagnosed BFS .

So my advice to all , is to never stay two minutes in a room with a man that reminds you of a Killer on the big Screen , no matter whow desperate you are for answers .

John
John

Postby Jenn311 on June 10th, 2004, 11:22 pm

Ha ha, too funny. Good advice though.
There was this one guy in one of my classes here at Texas State (I can't get used to calling it that...) that reminded me of Keifer Sutherland in that movie he made with Reese Witherspoon...Freeway or something like that, where he played a serial killer. Creeped me out for a whole semester. Ewww!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management