Neurontin has bad side effects?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Neurontin has bad side effects?

Postby Sahti on November 3rd, 2003, 5:01 pm

I actually had to tell my doc to prescribe me Neurontin, because he's incompetant and doesn't understand ANYTHING about fascics. I was reading some threads and heard that Neurontin has bad side effects... I also suffer from IBS and anxiety. What are those side effects? Is there a better medication with less side effects?
"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King
Sahti

Postby marieclare on November 3rd, 2003, 11:44 pm

I also begged my neuro for the neurontin--she did not think it was a first choice for BFS but she gave 7 pills--i took one 100 mg pill on a bad BFS night-- i woke up with a major headache and feeling groggy-i took another pill the next night--same thing the next day and I took NO more pills--the headache lingered for days and i am not sure it helped the BFS--i was having a major twitch in my hand and it did stop but it was not worth the headache--now i take nothing and am going to see a highly recommended chinese medicine doctor this week---can't hurt!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on November 4th, 2003, 2:41 pm

I just started neurontin on saturday, taking 300mg three times daily, and I haven't noticed any horrible side effects yet. I have had minor headaches, but i'm not sure if that is the neurontin or the trileptal that I'm phasing off. The trileptal always gave me headaches when i altered dosage. They wouldn't last more than a day or two then would pass. I haven't noticed any improvements with the fascics, but I'm still hopefull.

Good luck,
Gary
garym

Postby Sahti on November 14th, 2003, 2:23 am

MarieClaire - Please keep us updated with what the Chinese medicine Doctor can do for you! Perhaps what works for you may work for us too :) Good luck.

Garym - I really hope it works for you. How come it causes headaches? Is it a long term drug? Maybe that's why you haven't noticed any difference yet.
"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King
Sahti

Postby marieclare on November 14th, 2003, 10:32 am

The Chinese medicne doctor/accupucturist was great--he reommended some herbs but i have already tried them--one was taurine and one was Co enzyme q10---They did not work for me--I was very sceptical about accupuncture--I had a treatment and on my drive home I felt so calm and this major twitch I had in my shoulder stopped!!! He recommends weekly treatments for about 8 weeks and then we will evaluate whether it helps--He thought it was fine I did not want to take any of the herbs he recommended--He is one of the best in the country i hear--he is in Boulder Co----about 45 min from my house but the drive is worth it! I will keep you posted--- He said he had treated many people with twitches but none with as many twitches i described!!!
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on November 14th, 2003, 5:10 pm

Sahti,

Ten days into, the headaches have passed. The meds. haven't seemed to help the twitches, but is helping the pain.

I keep you posted.

Gary
garym

Postby Sahti on November 15th, 2003, 4:29 am

Marieclaire - That's great! Perhaps with more treatments, he can alleviate all of the twitches. I'm thinking about going to a homeopathic M.D., I've been to him once before, he does some STRANGE things, but I think he can help. I'll keep everyone posted too.

Garym - Glad to hear that the headache part went away, now maybe it should start doing its job and relieiving the fascics. Thanks for keeping me posted, I still haven't got enough courage up to try it yet, lol.
Sahti

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management