Sam-e (antidepressant)

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Sam-e (antidepressant)

Postby skinny on October 6th, 2003, 12:43 am

Has anyone taken this supplement? It's used for depression, arthritis, and some other conditions. It's has very few side effects compared to SSRIs and other pharmaceutical antidepressants.

Here's a good overview on it:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/jun ... me_01.html

Has anyone tried this for their depression, anxiety, or twitching?

I'm don't suffer from anxiety or depression (maybe I'm mildly depressed). I'm on it for now. I'm gonna try 200mg 2x per day for a least two months. I may bump up the dosage if I'm not responding within a month.

So far on day 3 I find it very well tolerated. I feel pretty good on it.

It's not cheap. A 200mg pill is about .65 to .95 cents depending where you buy it.

skinny
skinny

Postby twitching man on October 6th, 2003, 9:07 am

Hi Skinny- You will have to feep us posted on the results.
Thanks for the info.
TM
twitching man

Postby Floater on October 6th, 2003, 4:02 pm

sam-e is an excellent supplement...i used it to detox my liver...i dont use it any more....but it helped me get out of my bfs depression...i took a small dose though,400 mgs a day
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby dhayes on October 10th, 2003, 2:53 pm

Hello,
I had a neurologist prescribe Sam-E for my BFS, and it helped, and is great for depression. Unfortunately I had to stop taking it because it started making me feel strange and caused anxiety. Go figure. I'm seriously considering purchasing the smallest dose available and giving that a try. I believe 150 mg is available.

Good luck,
Dan
dhayes

Sam-e

Postby thetwitchkid on October 31st, 2003, 2:23 pm

I was diagnosed with BFS in April 2003 (After Brain MRI and EMG/Nerve conduction tests). Tried Xanax for 4 weeks , no relief and discontinued. A nutritionist suggested Sam-e. I have been taking 400mg daily for two months. I have found it to be very helpful in relief of the twitching as well as the "fog/anxiety" that accompanies BFS. I hope this helps. The only side-effect I notice is a dry mouth and "orange" coating on my tongue every day. It could be my Liver in detox mode. I recently added a vitamin B-complex and liquid calcium/magnesium.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby marieclare on October 31st, 2003, 7:24 pm

A friend of mine was on Prozac and did not like the side effects--so she tried SAM-e and loves it--she says she feels normal--She says it can cause insomnia though if you don't take it in the morning--is that right? She buys it much cheaper at COSTCO or SAM's club.
marieclare
marieclare
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby thetwitchkid on November 3rd, 2003, 8:49 am

I have been sleeping fine with the Sam-e, although I must admit I usually take it in the morning so I am unsure about taking it at night. Thanks for the Costco buying tip.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management