resources out there?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

resources out there?

Postby steves on September 29th, 2003, 9:51 pm

It seems that some of you out there have found resources (i.e., books, tapes, etc.) that have helped you deal with the anxieties that many of us BFSers struggle with.

I'd like to compile a list of what books you think are the best in dealing with health/anxiety issues. Maybe some good 'ol (non-Internet) reading will help calm my nerves.

Looking forward to the replies...

Steve in Houston
steves

Postby garym on September 29th, 2003, 10:18 pm

Steve,

A book I just picked up has helped with the anxiety a lot through meditation. It is called "Timeless Healing" by H. Benson, M.D., and the part I focused on first was the Relaxation Response. It's a great way to relieve anxiety, and I really needed it. If you try it, let me know how it works for you. I bought my copy at half price books for three dollars. The best three dollars I've spent since all of this started.

Hope this helps you. I know the relaxation will, if you give it a chance.

Gary

P.S. After skipping to the relaxation response portion of the book, I started at the beginning. It's a good read.
garym

Postby Jenn311 on September 29th, 2003, 11:29 pm

Here is one that was recommended to me:

Stop Worrying About Your Health! How to Quit Obsessing About Symptoms and Feel Better Now
by George D. Zgourides

If you do a search on health anxieties, or relaxation, or meditaion, etc. at Amazon.com , you will find a ton of stuff to peruse. Or like Gary suggested, hit Half Price Books (I love that place!), and spend some time going through titles.

Good luck!

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Nole on October 2nd, 2003, 7:51 pm

I read the same book, Stop worrying...I recommended it to many people on this site. It puts things in perspective for me, andhonestly I have been worry free since I finished the book! Now it sits on my shelf but it was a life saver in my time of need. I also enjoy going for massages, warm baths, and learning relaxing techniques. Books on relaxing are a must!
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management